How To Not Get Discouraged By Higher Quality Producers

Stuff to keep you learning.
no avatar
DJVeaux

Topic author

How To Not Get Discouraged By Higher Quality Producers

by DJVeaux » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Something I struggle with a lot while in the studio: Trying to become inspired rather than discouraged when listening to higher caliber tracks made by much better music producers. Thought I'd share with you guys a few mantra's I use to help me get through it, hope you guys enjoy :)
TL;DW:
We all go through those days when we compare our tracks to the pros and think "fuuuuuuuuck, they're so much better than mine." Then we proceed to go down a downward spiral of negativity and depression all because of how "inferior" we feel.
A little mantra I've been using to help me snap out of it that I stole from Austin Kleon: "Stand on the shoulders of giants, don't let them stand on yours." The idea here is that, instead of letting the great works of others discourage us, we should acknowledge the fact that we feel our tracks aren't quite as good, figure out what exactly we want to improve in our productions in comparison to theirs, and then figure out how we can make that improvement.
In summary, turn jealousy of "better produced tracks" into something that helps you become a better producer, instead of something that discourages you :)
How To Make an Avicii-Style Track From Scratch (in FL Studio)
https://www.udemy.com/aviciistyletrack/?couponCode=20PERCENTOFFAVICII

Ghost Producer at middle8studios.com

no avatar
JDVL

Re: How To Not Get Discouraged By Higher Quality Producers

by JDVL » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:55 pm

Ahaha it s so true !!

no avatar
iamstevengold

Re: How To Not Get Discouraged By Higher Quality Producers

by iamstevengold » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:47 am

I'm glad you made this. It's so true, I go to my favorite YouTube channels for some inspiration and sometimes it can be a good thing.

But other times, you just think "man, I've spent so much time on my craft & I'm still not where I want to be" :roll:

Return to Tutorials