How To Make A Quality Track A Week

Stuff to keep you learning.
no avatar
DJVeaux

Topic author

How To Make A Quality Track A Week

by DJVeaux » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Some insights from my experience as to how I make a quality track a week that I thought would be helpful to you guys :)

TL;DW for those of you who hate watching videos:

1. Deadlines. Set them for yourself, then when they hit, export the track and move onto the next one. If you don't, in my experience I'll never be done with the track. Art is never finished, only abandoned.

2. Chunking. Instead of approaching music as one big process, separate it into small more manageable processes. In a week you've got seven days, so give yourself little goals to hit by the end of each day. For instance: Sunday I'll get the melody done, Monday I'll get the breakdown layering done, Tuesday I'll have the framework for the layout done, Thursday I'll have the breaks filled in, etc.

3. 30-45 minute sprints. Parkinson's Law: Tasks fill the allotted time given to them. I find it much harder to tell myself "ok, I'm gonna work until I get this section done." I end up spending all day on the given task and then end up ditching it at the end cuz it sounds like crap. Instead, I set a timer for 30-45 minutes to work on the given task, then when the timer hits I stop and take a break. It's much easier psychologically, and in my experience my best results have come when I force myself to streamline the process.

4. Imperfectionist. Don't worry about making the "perfect track." (What is the "perfect track" anyways?!) There's always room for tweaking. Instead, remember da Vinci's quote: "Art is never done, only abandoned." Work your ass off on all the tweaks, then when the deadline hits just hit that export button and move onto the next project.

Hope this helps some of you guys :D
How To Make an Avicii-Style Track From Scratch (in FL Studio)
https://www.udemy.com/aviciistyletrack/?couponCode=20PERCENTOFFAVICII

Ghost Producer at middle8studios.com

no avatar
castresanaiza

Re: How To Make A Quality Track A Week

by castresanaiza » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:35 pm

haha you so right so many times i keep trying to improve the song and in the end sometimes is better if i had move on! btw i really agree with you on the third one!

no avatar
DJVeaux

Topic author

by DJVeaux » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:22 am

castresanaiza wrote:haha you so right so many times i keep trying to improve the song and in the end sometimes is better if i had move on! btw i really agree with you on the third one!

Glad I could help my man, now go and make some more kickass music :)

no avatar
LukaJay

by LukaJay » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:07 am

Very true! Although forcing yourself to finish a track every week is good, it can also be counterproductive. You see a lot of professionals say that some tracks they have finished have clocked 10's of hours on it. I heard that either Ummet Ozcan or Jay Hardway spent around 250 hours on one of their best tracks. So my advice is, make every track the best you can, but 'TRY' and do it reasonably fast and if you don't like it just throw the project away.

- L
Young Producer from Amsterdam, The Netherlands! :)

no avatar
adriank1410

by adriank1410 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 am

I made this remix in 60h (counting with mix and mastering):

and it doesn't really feel too much because remix contests usually have about 1 month to finish the track and I like to set that as my deadline, which helps me get down to work but not too fast at the same time. I like working when I have inspiration and I'm not forced to do it, otherwise I'm just wasting time.

Check my other stuff on :arrow: Soundcloud and :arrow: Mixcloud. Promise you won't be disappointed ;)

no avatar
DJVeaux

Topic author

by DJVeaux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:05 pm

adriank1410 wrote:I made this remix in 60h (counting with mix and mastering):

[ https://soundcloud.com/adriank1410/synchronice-kasum-glorious-feat-ruby-prophet-adrian-kwiatkowski-remix ]

and it doesn't really feel too much because remix contests usually have about 1 month to finish the track and I like to set that as my deadline, which helps me get down to work but not too fast at the same time. I like working when I have inspiration and I'm not forced to do it, otherwise I'm just wasting time.

All power to you guys who want to take a longer amount of time to do it, this is just my thoughts as someone who's done both approaches and has found much more success with the shorter timeframe one ;)

no avatar
JordanClayton

by JordanClayton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 am

While this can sometimes work, Ive had tracks finished in 2 day sessions, I have also had tracks that I started over a year ago, think it varies from track to track, each track will be different. Although at the moment I'll be happy to finish anything! haha

Return to Tutorials