Finishing a track (Mixing during writting ?)

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
SebOne

Topic author

Finishing a track (Mixing during writting ?)

by SebOne » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi guys,

Since I started producing, i Have a HUGE problem that some others people have: I dont succeed to finish my tracks.

I have thinking about this problem and the different solutions that can solve my problem, and i have noticed one thing. A lot of big names of dance music say that they "mix in the same time as they write". And i think this is the problem of why i can't finish a track -->I am too much focused on the mixing stage instead of creativity process.

So i try, since yesterday, to improve my creativity process and not focus only on the mixing stage. For this i decided to have on my midi and audio track, only certain fundamentals elements :

-an EQ (basically to separate instruments in the frenquency spectrum)
-a sidechain plug in or compressor (to let the kick stand out)
-a reverb or delay for instrument or things that need this effect

And that's all, i dont go to others processing tools until my track isn't done.

What about you guys ? Do you have others tips to finish a track ?

no avatar
uston

Re: Finishing a track (Mixing during writting ?)

by uston » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 pm

One trick that helped me is when you start a new track and you have an idea just keep working on it without even thinking Eqs, compressors, mixing etc. In the creativity process in the end it doesn't really matter.
When i do a track i have only sidechain and Eqs and so i do all the track like that, when you have it all then you can start to process

no avatar
Mick

Re: Finishing a track (Mixing during writting ?)

by Mick » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:23 pm

I always attempt to mix last but I dont think it has ever happened haha. Been making music for a few years now but still take too long finishing tracks. I think in Aviciis in the studio video he says he gets the arrangement down and then mixes.

Return to Tips and Tricks