Reverb and leads

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
william

Topic author

Reverb and leads

by william » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 am

Hey,

I hope you're week has been filled with success.
I am starting to dig into reverb more, and seem not to get that real soft sound in my leads layer.

I will refeer to a song by Chris Avantegard - Freedom.

Most of the proggressive house tracks I guess...

I am looking to achieve that big sound, hard hitting but at the same time soft and wide sound.
Theres alot of elements that comes to play, but I am looking to understand the reverb.

How much Decay, pre delay and wetness do you guys usally have?

William

no avatar
TimothyWalters

Re: Reverb and leads

by TimothyWalters » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi William,
I use Valhalla Room to separate different instruments into their three rooms respectively, for example I would emphasize main sounds in the first room which will most likely have a dry/wet percentage of about 1-10% depending on the type of song of course. For the second room I would have sounds that support the main sound and of course the same logic will be applied here with an increase in percentage of dry/wet signal of about 20-30% depending on the type of song of course. For the third room I normally like to just use the for atmospheric sounds that contribute to the overall sound of the song, there is of course an increase in percentage of dry/wet signal of about 50-60%, again depending on the type of song. This is just a rough overview on how I would tackle reverb on my leads, but from what I can recommend from my side is that some things don't come with a manual. Mixing is one of those things. Every mix is different. The numbers that I have listed are a good place to start, but you will need to experiment with them in order to get your mix right. And of course, only time and effort will make you grow. Keep going William!
Kind regards, Timothy.

no avatar
william

Topic author

by william » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 pm

TimothyWalters wrote:Hi William,
I use Valhalla Room to separate different instruments into their three rooms respectively, for example I would emphasize main sounds in the first room which will most likely have a dry/wet percentage of about 1-10% depending on the type of song of course. For the second room I would have sounds that support the main sound and of course the same logic will be applied here with an increase in percentage of dry/wet signal of about 20-30% depending on the type of song of course. For the third room I normally like to just use the for atmospheric sounds that contribute to the overall sound of the song, there is of course an increase in percentage of dry/wet signal of about 50-60%, again depending on the type of song. This is just a rough overview on how I would tackle reverb on my leads, but from what I can recommend from my side is that some things don't come with a manual. Mixing is one of those things. Every mix is different. The numbers that I have listed are a good place to start, but you will need to experiment with them in order to get your mix right. And of course, only time and effort will make you grow. Keep going William!

Thanks for you're answer!
So you split the different frequencies in different rooms?

I am using now trueverb and feeling that is more for the ambient elements in the mix.
I will def check Valhalla Room out, I been using the valhalla vintage alittle bit.

William

no avatar
EliHood

by EliHood » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:43 am

From my journey, i think you should layer leads instead of adding reverb to it, make it sound huge without reverb, and then you can decide whether you want to add reverb to it.
Current Gear: Sennheiser 280hd and Sennheiser 600hd.

Use both back and forth. But mix mostly only on sennheiser 600hd, 280hd are for referencing.

Return to Tips and Tricks