Mixing 101(Getting Rid of Mud)

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
MaxVangeli

Topic author

Mixing 101(Getting Rid of Mud)

by MaxVangeli » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:10 pm

The most important way to achieve this is to work your way towards the final product like building a house per say. First you mix your kick and the bass making sure those work together well. After that start placing your drums on top. A lot of young producers dont realize how much low end a simple hat might have, so use your spectrum analyzer to see all the mud. I normally always cut everything below 150 on all the elements other than the bass and the kick. When it comes to layering you also need to understand that when you stack up frequencies it will clash in the areas where things are layered, with that said when you layer a lead sound because you think a specific frequency is dope in it, make sure you cut out the weight that is not needed, maybe a high cut or mid range. The main thing here to understand is that a frequency range in a digital box is not limitless like the analogue mixing desk. Think of it as a box where you can place your old shoes in, once that box is full you need to remove a few pairs in order to make room for better shoes. Also another big issue new producers are having is running out of headroom because of the crazy mastering chains on the outputs. When you produce music the only thing you should really have is a light compressor and a limiter thats it. If you make your mix sound amazing with just that, your final product will sound massive because then u can really drive your limiter to the max and control your mix that way vs finding some crazy magic formula with the Ozone and harmonizers. Once your mix is done then go in and play around with mastering.

no avatar
Geomaticz

Re: Mixing 101(Getting Rid of Mud)

by Geomaticz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Nice post!

What Max said is a very important step to your final mixdown. Especially stuff like claps, snares, hats, loops, FX you name it, it's maybe a small detail in your track but if you use alot of details without EQ'ing them it would disturb a shitload, details also make the difference :D

1 little tip that works for me: Try to make a deadline for yourself for the mixdown. Otherwise you'll keep working on it since there is never a finish for mixing imo.

Btw, are there ppl that use Valhallaroom? If so, is it a good plugin to make your synths sound more wide? I'm probably gonna use this plugin but I wanna hear the experiences of you guys so far

no avatar
max

by max » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Geomaticz wrote:Nice post!
Btw, are there ppl that use Valhallaroom? If so, is it a good plugin to make your synths sound more wide? I'm probably gonna use this plugin but I wanna hear the experiences of you guys so far

I use Valhalla VintageVerb, it's an incredible plugin, easily my favorite reverb I've ever used. Great sound, very flexible/versatile, easy to use, and pleasant to look at. Haven't used ValhallaRoom, but if it's anything like VintageVerb then it is probably well worth it.

no avatar
Geomaticz

by Geomaticz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:29 pm

max wrote:

I use Valhalla VintageVerb, it's an incredible plugin, easily my favorite reverb I've ever used. Great sound, very flexible/versatile, easy to use, and pleasant to look at. Haven't used ValhallaRoom, but if it's anything like VintageVerb then it is probably well worth it.

Gonna check this 1 out aswell, thanks for the tip! :)

no avatar
JcZam

by JcZam » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:30 pm

What's up guys!, in layering it depends in your genre, for example, you're not going to layer a bunch of synths for a boncy groovy track, most of the times it's only a couple of them, tweek it and process them real good, so you can create the lead sound. But, in the other hand, in a melodic house track like DubVision style, you're going to layer a lots of synths, so you can fill all the atmosphere in those kind of tunes.

A tip that helps me a lot in the layering topic is that, when you're building your main synth, see it like a human body, you need minimum 3 layers, a spine (your main synth, that is in the middle range), your legs (your bass synth, that supports your mid synth), and your head ( high freq. synth, gives you the brightness to your sound, depends from time to time, most of the times you can use a synth rave kind). With this if you process every layer good, the only thing you need are some details like FX and percussions, Just remember "Less is More" :D .

no avatar
Rich

by Rich » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Great post Max. I think along with good mixing, knowing what frequencies you want to keep is also important. For example when we are adding reverb to something, a substantial amount of additional frequencies appear. Then we need to EQ out the unnecessary ones. Another important thing is that you need to fully complete the mixing process before you start mastering. Any further changes after mastering to the original would not be a good idea. Also mastering works best if done one a separately rendered .wav version of your track.

no avatar
AndreiK

by AndreiK » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:41 pm

max wrote:

+1 for Valhalla Vintage Verb, very nice reverb and easy to tweak. I've been using it since I tried it cause it sits so well in the mix for some reason.

You can start with the basics for more width: M/S Eqing, Stereo Imaging (the ozone 5 imager is one of my favs).

Return to Tips and Tricks