The Panning for drums (especially hihats)

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
FeelTheImpact

Topic author

The Panning for drums (especially hihats)

by FeelTheImpact » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:46 am

Hello guys! This might not be a so important trick,but i had this little problem with the last two proyects i've been working on and it got fixed.

The thing is when you have a drop which hasn't so many high freq (around 16 KHz - 17 KHz) and you add some hihats (let's say one open hihat for making that offbeat and two closed ones for creating a rythm),those hihats remove a bit of attack of the sounds you used for the drop,because they take that high freq space and the drop loses a bit of its power.

So what i did and i think i'll always do from now on is panning the closed ones,one to the left and other to the right (the level of panning is as you want),so they aren't in the center and the attack of the drop keeps being important with the kick.I added 30% each side and you can't barely notice it's panned so you solve the problem and it sounds like if they were in the center

As i said it's not a must trick,but it kinda helped me and i hope in some projects help you all too :D

no avatar
samnolan

Re: The Panning for drums (especially hihats)

by samnolan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:49 pm

FeelTheImpact wrote:Hello guys! This might not be a so important trick,but i had this little problem with the last two proyects i've been working on and it got fixed.

The thing is when you have a drop which hasn't so many high freq (around 16 KHz - 17 KHz) and you add some hihats (let's say one open hihat for making that offbeat and two closed ones for creating a rythm),those hihats remove a bit of attack of the sounds you used for the drop,because they take that high freq space and the drop loses a bit of its power.

So what i did and i think i'll always do from now on is panning the closed ones,one to the left and other to the right (the level of panning is as you want),so they aren't in the center and the attack of the drop keeps being important with the kick.I added 30% each side and you can't barely notice it's panned so you solve the problem and it sounds like if they were in the center

As i said it's not a must trick,but it kinda helped me and i hope in some projects help you all too :D

Cool idea! for the same problem u can use a very very short sidechain. or for a huge ride thats going with the kick, but u wanna keep it in the center, u can take out the very first part of the sample, so its not gonna cover the top of your kick.

no avatar
Amicka

Re: The Panning for drums (especially hihats)

by Amicka » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 pm

hey guys!

Panning is very important and it makes your track 'clean & clear'.
The Kick & Bass should be mono and than start to build everything around.
Drums and Effects should be panned to both sides, to give the kick and bass more room.
So let's say you pan the clap to the right, pan the highhat to the left side :)
Don't be shy with panning, in the beginning it might sound weird, but remember that's
a good way to get a very wide mix in the end.

Another cool trick is, to bounce your main lead and pan each audio file to one side.
Keep the midi file and leave it in the middle. Your lead will be therefore very wide. :)

Return to Tips and Tricks