Compression and Limiting

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
NickHayes1

Topic author

Compression and Limiting

by NickHayes1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to producing and am looking for tips on compression and limiting. Please feel free to share any tips or tricks you think could benefit people on the forum here.

no avatar
veykon

Re: Compression and Limiting

by veykon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:31 pm

i'm not a pro but in compressors i use fabfilter and ozone as it show that kinda waveform and you can have some help with attack and release and i get some help using s(M)exoscope plugin too.
My favorite limiter is fabfilter PRO-L, it's pretty easy and there are presets which always do great job for me, i mostly use limiter only in master channel where you can increase your level loud enough if mix is good. I don't need limiters in other channels because of headroom, at least it works for me.
I hope someone will help us with some tips :)

no avatar
NickHayes1

Topic author

by NickHayes1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:58 am

veykon wrote:i'm not a pro but in compressors i use fabfilter and ozone as it show that kinda waveform and you can have some help with attack and release and i get some help using s(M)exoscope plugin too.
My favorite limiter is fabfilter PRO-L, it's pretty easy and there are presets which always do great job for me, i mostly use limiter only in master channel where you can increase your level loud enough if mix is good. I don't need limiters in other channels because of headroom, at least it works for me.
I hope someone will help us with some tips :)

I hope more people respond too. That's about the same set up I use. How much head room do you use on each track?

no avatar
veykon

by veykon » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:50 am

Around 3-6 db, it depends on kick and on how you do mastering i think, you can start with kick at -6 db and then work around that you'll have lot of headroom in other channels, also you can have kick at 0 db but channels just don't have so much of headroom and sometimes you need limiter catching peaks.
I found this guide explaining basics of compression maybe can help you http://edmproduction.wikia.com/wiki/Compression

no avatar
NickHayes1

Topic author

by NickHayes1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks for the tip man!

no avatar
samnolan

by samnolan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:16 pm

For me it took so much time to really understand how compression work, and actually where to use. For channels i always use distortion(mostly not for hearable distortion, just for dynamic control), saturation, and a bit of compression. This way u can really take out the unwanted peaks, and your sound is still gonna be ok. If i have some kind of crazy peaks, and i cant manage it this way, thats the only case when i use limter on channel. If you have a good mix, and your chanels dont have big peaks, you can make a loud master. Its funny but if you cant make your master loud enough, than your mix is not good enough yet. A tip for a master limiter: vladg limiter 6. its a crazy multiband compressor/limiter/clipper, and its free! anyway i use mostly fabfilter for saturation, and compression. hope it was useful

no avatar
MaxVangeli

by MaxVangeli » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:44 am

NickHayes1 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to producing and am looking for tips on compression and limiting. Please feel free to share any tips or tricks you think could benefit people on the forum here.

[ https://soundcloud.com/nh_official/stadiumx-ft-angelika-vee-wonderland-nick-hayes-remix ]

Honestly over the year I learned there are no set rules on this. One thing I suggest is to try the Fab Filter Limiter, which I love now. Iv been using the L2 all my life but the Fab is so clean. As far as compression for beginners just look over some presets and apply accordingly, and once u have a setting play with the threshhold and see how much compression you want to be applying. I honestly have a compressor on every major element in the mix and on the master itself. It definily fattens up the sounds, but the more compression u apply to individual channels the more you need to be careful on the master with it and the Limiter itself. The Limiter should NEVER be limiting more than -6dbs on the threshhold monitor.

Return to Tips and Tricks