Workflow

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
MattYo

Topic author

Workflow

by MattYo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Not sure if this fits as a tip or trick, but but the question fit here the best. :?

So what does everyones workflow seem to be? I know some people like to start with their drops and work backwards, while others will start with drums, or melodies and build up from there.

I myself am still trying to find my groove, since im still a bit of noob.

What works best for you? Any tips & tricks to build on?? :)

no avatar
uston

Re: Workflow

by uston » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:14 pm

It depends in what are you inspired when make music, listen tracks you like and take inspirations from them (not by copying ofc)
Most of the time i start with playing notes for the drop then kick and so on
There aren't rules for that, just do what you like to start with. I suggest once you have an idea don't overthink that and start build all track even if isn't the best, you need to start somehow

no avatar
erickt

by erickt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:17 pm

in my case i start with the bassline and kick... for me, the most important elements, but in some cases i like to start with the main melody or the breakdown... then the drop... or wel... it depends, every song its totally different...

no avatar
Creepykid

by Creepykid » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:48 pm

It all starts with the chords for me! Those are the most important things in my tracks. Then I do only one synth for the bassline, chords, melody, athmosphere etc. for the drop and then I do the intro and blend it to the breakdown. The thing you said about going with the drop, then breakdown doesn't fit me. I feel you can do a much better breakdown if u do it from the intro, because you know exactly what instrument to start using first!

no avatar
EliGreenMusic

by EliGreenMusic » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:02 pm

I generally start with a melody I came up with while in the shower or when lying down before bed (particularly if it's a few hours before I have to wake up for something important).

Taylor Swift has even admitted to rushing into an airport bathroom to write down lyrics on toilet paper.

Sometimes inspiration strikes, and sometimes perspiration strikes first...

I remember watching an interview with Max Vangeli & AN21 where Max said: "I don't know how people can just listen to a loop and go: 'This chord would sound good with this kick'"

Very funny, but to each his own!

-E

no avatar
Midge

by Midge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:05 pm

for me it depends on the music I am making. if I am doing something under my house alias I will most certainly work with a drum groove and a bassline. This is because the whole concept of the track is based around the groove of the drums and bass. Now the word 'concept' is key. I always search for the concept of my track or in other words, what will the main focus or hook be.

if I am creating progressive I will sit and either write a melody or start playing around with some synths in order to create a specific sound and go from there. I generally find with progressive music you are better starting with your synths and musical elements.

for me, if I haven't got my main concept and main parts down, with a done-ish arrangement in at least 4-6 hours then I rarely finish the track. if something good is rolling I advise getting it into the project and getting the project built up as quickly as possible while that creative spark is still there!! Forget about eqing your snare and shit until the main ideas / hooks and melodies are down. Focus first on creating your elements then get into the science nerdy bit once something solid is down. that's how I roll anyway.
I offer a very affordable mixing and mastering service for those in need: http://bit.ly/1Yx2Edx

http://www.soundcloud.com/tjmidge
http://www.soundcloud.com/facturemusic

no avatar
Orbiteus

by Orbiteus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I always start with screwing around with sylenth, harmor or sytrus to make sound ;). Rest depends on what I had earlier ;D

no avatar
TonicTWSTD

by TonicTWSTD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:04 pm

It depends always how I'm feeling. Sometimes I start playing Piano, sometimes make a sound, sometimes I take inspiration by hearing other genres

no avatar
MattYo

Topic author

by MattYo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:14 am

Great feedback fellas, thanks for your responses! :)
Been working on a track, started with the melody/chords first, but im gonna try out other methods to see which i like best

Orbiteus wrote:I always start with screwing around with sylenth, harmor or sytrus to make sound ;). Rest depends on what I had earlier ;D
as well.

I tried this one before but i got lost learning sound design i wasn't making anything new! haha, i think i will save this concept until my production skills are a bit more developed..

EliGreenMusic wrote:I generally start with a melody I came up with while in the shower or when lying down before bed (particularly if it's a few hours before I have to wake up for something important).

Taylor Swift has even admitted to rushing into an airport bathroom to write down lyrics on toilet paper.

Sometimes inspiration strikes, and sometimes perspiration strikes first...

I remember watching an interview with Max Vangeli & AN21 where Max said: "I don't know how people can just listen to a loop and go: 'This chord would sound good with this kick'"

Very funny, but to each his own!

-E

Very funny indeed! i can totally understand that tho, i saw a video with Deorro talking about recording melodies/sounds on his phone as a memo to use as later inspiration, so ive taken that and started doing it as well :ugeek:

Midge wrote:for me it depends on the music I am making. if I am doing something under my house alias I will most certainly work with a drum groove and a bassline. This is because the whole concept of the track is based around the groove of the drums and bass. Now the word 'concept' is key. I always search for the concept of my track or in other words, what will the main focus or hook be.

if I am creating progressive I will sit and either write a melody or start playing around with some synths in order to create a specific sound and go from there. I generally find with progressive music you are better starting with your synths and musical elements.

for me, if I haven't got my main concept and main parts down, with a done-ish arrangement in at least 4-6 hours then I rarely finish the track. if something good is rolling I advise getting it into the project and getting the project built up as quickly as possible while that creative spark is still there!! Forget about eqing your snare and shit until the main ideas / hooks and melodies are down. Focus first on creating your elements then get into the science nerdy bit once something solid is down. that's how I roll anyway.

Im gonna have to try this, i cant even count the number of times ive gotten into a session and came out with nothing :|

Return to Tips and Tricks