Mono vs Stereo

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
MaxVangeli

Re: Mono vs Stereo

by MaxVangeli » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:37 am

NickHayes1 wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering, in a normal dance track, what should generally be mono or stereo? Is mono just for basslines and subs?

I also use Logic X. How can I make subs from sylenth1 mono? Is there a plugin that works for this built into Logic X? If so please tell me where it is at.

Thanks,

Nick

Here is a very easy rule, anything blow 150 HRz needs to be mono. Other than that no rules.

no avatar
marvomusic

by marvomusic » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:37 am

It's funny (but also sad) to see so many people telling to keep frequencies below "x" Hz in mono... You clearly don't analyze professional tracks that much. Sometimes you have to ignore the rules in order to evolve. Check your 5 favorite tracks and see if they have the low end perfectly mono and you'll be surprised. You won't see that straight line in the spectrum, you'll see stereo information too (not much, but still). Don't you find stupid turning something to mono when most of the soundsystems do that anyway?

Making sure something translates good to mono is one thing, turning it to mono is another thing.

no avatar
samnolan

by samnolan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:11 pm

For subs, yeah mono for sure, especially for the drop. in the break section i like to play around with some stereo, moving kind of bass, but not in the 60-90 hz, more likely in the 150-250 hz. Anyway i always put a ProQ2 on the master from the very beginning, and i set a cut somewhere between 130-160Hz on the sides with an m/s eq. This way the low end gonna be dead mono, and you not gonna have any mixing issues that can happen if you would cut it after the project is finished.

Previous

Return to Tips and Tricks