Share your production secrets.
no avatar
frankiemoriello

Topic author

PADs & Low Mid Elements

by frankiemoriello » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Hey Guys,
hey Max

i've had some serious trouble with my mixing lately when it comes to mixing my whole low mid range. I hope you can give me some tips with this one. Here iswhat I'm fighting with:

Most of the time i use a simple sinus/saw sub combined with some kind of e-guitar for my low end. The guitar is boosted most of the time in the upper mid range. So actually i got my kick hitting at about 100 hz the sub an octave below and the guitar above my kick (character in 300 hz range).

With the drums and leads in, it sounds quite good imo. When i compare my music to other prog house tracks (especially deniz koyu & dubvision tracks) i feel that my tracks need some more weight in the range between 100 - 300 hz. So most of the time i look for a piano combined with a pad, because i want my tracks to have some kind of real/acoustic feel.

Whats your approach for placing these low mid elements in the mix? I dont really want them to be panned, because i feel like they are kind of a "core" element in the mix. so i want them in the mid. That imediately ruins my mix because the whole low mid range is cluttered with mud than. Actually i dont want to use stereo imagers in that stage, because when in mix in mono i firstly think of all the stuff that needs to be in the middle.

Do you use m/s eq? cutting the mids and leaving the sides? Or do you spread the pad sound with stereo imagers?

As you can see there's some controversity going on with me, am i thinking to difficult?

Im thankful for every single tip. Thank you!

Cheers Frankie

no avatar
AlphaHotel

Re: PADs & Low Mid Elements

by AlphaHotel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:34 am

+1 here, this is something I really need to get better at.
Last Track: SOAR

Next: ???

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

Re: PADs & Low Mid Elements

by JeroenJongsma » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 am

+1, struggling with it aswell!

Return to Tips and Tricks