Key and BPM on tracks

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
JcZam

Topic author

Key and BPM on tracks

by JcZam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:56 am

When you start a new project, most of the times you have an idea of the melody, the chord progression or some beats. But what defines to you to what key is the right one for the project?, (if you have any musical theory) do you think in musical modes?, common chord progression like I IV V I?, any modulations?. and with the BPM how do you select the right one?, I know that the standard today is 128 in House, most of the subgenres, but there are times that 127 or even 125 are selected. What do you think about that?.

no avatar
AlphaHotel

Re: Key and BPM on tracks

by AlphaHotel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:30 am

JcZam wrote:When you start a new project, most of the times you have an idea of the melody, the chord progression or some beats. But what defines to you to what key is the right one for the project?, (if you have any musical theory) do you think in musical modes?, common chord progression like I IV V I?, any modulations?. and with the BPM how do you select the right one?, I know that the standard today is 128 in House, most of the subgenres, but there are times that 127 or even 125 are selected. What do you think about that?.

I'm not exactly a professional here, so take my opinion for what it is.

Key: I usually just screw around on a MIDI controller with various melodies in various keys, and so sometimes my tracks are in similar keys and others are all over the place. Some are easier to mix in than others, as far as I know. Maarten Vorwerk once said that certain keys have different vibes to them, but I'm sure he's talking really subtle stuff, so not sure it's really a major thing. I just think in steps of the scales anyway :P

BPM: I have a bit more experience here. Basically, if you take a "cold listen" as soon as you open up your DAW, how do you feel about the tempo? Is it too fast or too slow to settle into the right groove? Of course, the differences between 128 and 127 and 125 and 129 are really subtle, especially without any 8th- or 16th-note stuff to help you feel out the subdivision. Just don't do what I do and keep changing the tempo back and forth unnecessarily...spending too much time "in the zone" means you over-analyze and nitpick over everything to the point that you're just wasting your time.

Hope this helps!
-Alpha (:
Last Track: SOAR

Next: ???

no avatar
JcZam

Topic author

Re: Key and BPM on tracks

by JcZam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:34 pm

AlphaHotel wrote:
JcZam wrote:When you start a new project, most of the times you have an idea of the melody, the chord progression or some beats. But what defines to you to what key is the right one for the project?, (if you have any musical theory) do you think in musical modes?, common chord progression like I IV V I?, any modulations?. and with the BPM how do you select the right one?, I know that the standard today is 128 in House, most of the subgenres, but there are times that 127 or even 125 are selected. What do you think about that?.

I'm not exactly a professional here, so take my opinion for what it is.

Key: I usually just screw around on a MIDI controller with various melodies in various keys, and so sometimes my tracks are in similar keys and others are all over the place. Some are easier to mix in than others, as far as I know. Maarten Vorwerk once said that certain keys have different vibes to them, but I'm sure he's talking really subtle stuff, so not sure it's really a major thing. I just think in steps of the scales anyway :P

BPM: I have a bit more experience here. Basically, if you take a "cold listen" as soon as you open up your DAW, how do you feel about the tempo? Is it too fast or too slow to settle into the right groove? Of course, the differences between 128 and 127 and 125 and 129 are really subtle, especially without any 8th- or 16th-note stuff to help you feel out the subdivision. Just don't do what I do and keep changing the tempo back and forth unnecessarily...spending too much time "in the zone" means you over-analyze and nitpick over everything to the point that you're just wasting your time.

Hope this helps!
-Alpha (:

Thatnks for the reply, well what Vorwerk means is that every key has differents moods, like a minor scale is more for "sad" things and a major scale is more for "happy" things, but most of the tracks are in C major or A minor (they are the "same" scale, or in proper words they are relative keys, sorry I study music in college hahahaha), because they are the "easiest" scales.

In my experience for an example most of the old melodic tracks from DubVision are in Ab major, I started to played it in the piano, and I got in to that conclusion, that scale gives you that sad but hype'ish kind of melodies, and they use a lot of 2nd minor intervals, so they can keep you in the mood.

I hope this helps you :D .

Return to Tips and Tricks