Tom Groove instead of Synth Bass (Sub)

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
frankiemoriello

Topic author

Tom Groove instead of Synth Bass (Sub)

by frankiemoriello » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:44 am

Hey guys,
i made a track using a pretty long kick. So a sub isn't really needed, because the spectrum is filled until the next kick hits.

Instead I wanted to place toms, which go pretty low in the frequency range and give so groove to the track (recognized this in some prog house/ edm tracks). Maybe use some light reverb and some compression on the toms to get them really going.

Has anyone of you guys done this before and has some tips how to approach this to get a clean mix?

Thank you guys!

Cheers Frankie

no avatar
FeelTheImpact

Re: Tom Groove instead of Synth Bass (Sub)

by FeelTheImpact » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:24 am

Damn,thats what i want to try in the next project i make,i realised in some tracks they use sub as perc like for example sundance from taanergard (maybe i spelled it wrong :( ),id like to listen to your project please cuz i have the idea but yesterday i tried and i failed hard hahaha

PD:for a clean mix i guess you would have to sidechain the toms and remove a bit of the sub kick freq where the toms have more influence so it doesnt sound so muddy,uhm the toms in mono cuz they must sound in the center as they are in sub freqs and i wouldnt add any reverb or delay,maybe a compression yeah

no avatar
frankiemoriello

Topic author

by frankiemoriello » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Well i guess the concept is not that new - Max also used this in some of his productions i think. there no place for a sub if your kick is very long.

Will share the project with you or maybe in the feedback section. btw thanks for tip @feel the imapact, i think it really helps making them mono. Ill keep you up to date.

no avatar
FeelTheImpact

by FeelTheImpact » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 pm

i just made a drop and i think it sounds good (it's pretty empty,theres just 1 lead haha) when i finish it i'll show you too man :D and yeah,it might not be so new but i realised about it a few weeks ago cuz before my ear didn't use to notice the sub tom lol

Return to Tips and Tricks