Amazing Mix in Mono

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
DJMikeB

Topic author

Amazing Mix in Mono

by DJMikeB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:54 am

How did he get this mix so powerful and wide sounding when the song is almost fully mono? I press the mono button on my Mackie Big Knob and it barely changes anything. On my songs, it cuts the leads in half.

https://soundcloud.com/musical-freedom/ ... october-19

no avatar
adriank1410

Re: Amazing Mix in Mono

by adriank1410 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:26 pm

You should try to mix in mono. It's easier to balance volume levels and find phase issues (especially in terms of bass). Stereo can fool us a bit. If it sounds good in mono, trust me, it'll sound badass in stereo (with some stereo separation and stuff even more amazing). Give it a try.

Check my other stuff on :arrow: Soundcloud and :arrow: Mixcloud. Promise you won't be disappointed ;)

no avatar
DJMikeB

Topic author

by DJMikeB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do mix in mono ( sometimes ), maybe I should do more. I heard that tip from Maarten Vorwerk.

Your mix is nice and clean. The piano in it is nice and powerful and clean. How did you E.Q it ? Layered? Nexus?

no avatar
Orbiteus

by Orbiteus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:39 pm

You just need to figure out how to make a good balance. when you have this done perfectly, in 90% of tracks you will have a good corellation between mono amd stereo. If not, you chose
Your sounds wrong ;). The reason why i dont mix in mono is that i mix things with doing areagement. In mono your sound doesnt sound as much emotional and entertaining as in stereo, but it is true that naking a good balance in moni is easier ;). You need to find your way ;))

no avatar
adriank1410

by adriank1410 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:45 pm

DJMikeB wrote:Thanks for the reply. I do mix in mono ( sometimes ), maybe I should do more. I heard that tip from Maarten Vorwerk.

Your mix is nice and clean. The piano in it is nice and powerful and clean. How did you E.Q it ? Layered? Nexus?

You are referring to the remix from my signature, right? I used TruePianos (really love that plugin) but it didn't sound full to me. So I layered it with uhm, let me think, probably The Giant (a Kontakt library). And one more layer was some Ableton stock sound. I don't really use Nexus too much, but I used it more in my last EP.

Check my other stuff on :arrow: Soundcloud and :arrow: Mixcloud. Promise you won't be disappointed ;)

no avatar
DJMikeB

Topic author

by DJMikeB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:06 am

Yes I was referring to that track. So basically three pianos all playing the exact same chords? They're not phasing each other?

Good job and thanks for Replying..

Orbiteus: Good comment. I agree

no avatar
Medikate

by Medikate » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:09 am

Here is some good info for you regarding mixing in mono:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb11/articles/qanda-0211-5.htm

no avatar
SenthovaMusic

by SenthovaMusic » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Someone here produces Progressive House? I like the sound of my leads in Mono but when they are alone. As soon as I put the Bass, Pads and all the other elements in the track the Leads start to lose strenght and they start to vanish, sounding really bad in Mono. Any tips with this?

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

by JeroenJongsma » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 am

SenthovaMusic wrote:Someone here produces Progressive House? I like the sound of my leads in Mono but when they are alone. As soon as I put the Bass, Pads and all the other elements in the track the Leads start to lose strenght and they start to vanish, sounding really bad in Mono. Any tips with this?

Struggling with the same thing sometimes.. I think you need to use different sounds and EQ is obviously very important. You might as well compress some leads. And I put a lot of effects on the lead bus channel to make it cleaner, more interesting and more obvious in the mix.

no avatar
Caleb

by Caleb » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:20 am

Hmm, it is sounding stereo to me? The vocals sound mono, but that is pretty typical I think.

I give feedback to every track I receive at Caleb's Feedback:
https://soundcloud.com/user-694744983

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks