ASK ME ANYTHING!

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

ASK ME ANYTHING!

by Dekagofficial » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:56 pm

I am decent at making music.... if you have serious production questions. Ask me anything here and I will do my best to help anyone.

no avatar
julianveloso

Re: ASK ME ANYTHING!

by julianveloso » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 am

I really like a lot of your tracks!

You should do some walkthroughs, that progressive sound is the thing i love.

I'd like to ask you about basslines, how many layers? how do you process them? that 1/16th bass is one thing i haven't been able to grasp.

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:38 am

julianveloso wrote:I really like a lot of your tracks!

You should do some walkthroughs, that progressive sound is the thing i love.

I'd like to ask you about basslines, how many layers? how do you process them? that 1/16th bass is one thing i haven't been able to grasp.

Thanks brother! I appreciate the love.

The hard thing about the 1/16th bassline is that it is about LFO's you have to have a lot of modulation. I will generally have 4 or 5 layers in these types of songs for bass and I always use my same 3 chord layers.

70% of them have pitch or cutoff automation

Bass Layers:
1. Sub Sine Bass for the frequencies below 80hz
2. Harmonic Sub Bass (Same as the sub except 1 octave higher) this adds to the warmth and fills the entire track a lot of people unfortunately miss this step. One great way to achieve this is use the arturia minimoog (max's favorite) i personally just use 3xOsc.
3. low mid bass layer usually a held note and usually very dirty with a good low pass
4. 1/16th mid bass layer is usually the one you hear the most. this can be made with additive III in massive for the alesso style or serum or spire for more original sounds.
5. Top Mid Bass layer 1/16th usually plays 2 octaves and some form of formant filter.

Chords:

1. Repeating piano is standard i usually use true pianos with light processing on the channel
2. 1 Cutoff LFO supersaw chord with a very hard lfo playing legato notes
3. a string or orchestra with light volume automation via volumeshaper from my buddies at cableguys on 1/16th

it is all of these modulated elements which makes a strong LFO running line possible, not just 1 bass.

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

by JeroenJongsma » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:51 am

How do you process your prog leads ? How do you layers your leads? Do you recommend using different synths when layering?

no avatar
DJShow

by DJShow » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Interessant things here !
Chadi B.

no avatar
Szpila

by Szpila » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:40 pm

JeroenJongsma wrote:How do you process your prog leads ? How do you layers your leads? Do you recommend using different synths when layering?

Plus how about lead sidechain? How much? I use usually Kickstarter with punch preset and I have never known how much percent set for leads to sound pro.

BTW your Volume shaper is very similar so how about that?

Thank you!

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

JeroenJongsma wrote:How do you process your prog leads ? How do you layers your leads? Do you recommend using different synths when layering?

Sup bro,

Processing leads is really truly different for every song because each song you make will have a different vibe. Sometimes you will want washed out reverb leads like "Forget You" by my bro Years. Sometimes you will want the upfront leads like the guys Dzeko and Torres, othertimes you will have big synths like Matt Nash and DV&Wyman.

General rule of thumb is as such though.

1. Send all your Leads to one bus.
2. process each individual sound lightly basically just EQ and light compression if necessary (usually I do not)
3. Send them to 1 group with saturation/eq/compression

The third step is where people tend to muck up the most. Play around with settings but remember all compression and clipping is exponential meaning... it carries over..

So for example if you put a sausage fatt or camel crush at the end of your chain to clip and limit your synths, when you go to master and clip/limit the master it doubles or triples the clipping saturation. It all adds up and for clear sound, you just cannot have this. Reason being is because when you go to the club you will always be clipping mostly into some bad mid or top speakers unless you get to play on my home resident clubs system "Pure Groove".

Anyway,

My bus usually looks like this

Fabfilter Saturn/ U-he satin
SSL E Channel
H-Delay or Replika (lots of delay)
Whatever Valhalla Reverb I think works best (very little reverb)
and an eq with a gentle slope rolling off everything under 200-250 and everything over 14000.
The reason i roll off the highs is because it is customary to add back clean unprocessed white noise with some eq so that your high end stays crispy and clean

other than this it is lots of volume/panning and support synths that make 1 full sound

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Szpila wrote:

Plus how about lead sidechain? How much? I use usually Kickstarter with punch preset and I have never known how much percent set for leads to sound pro.

BTW your Volume shaper is very similar so how about that?

Thank you!

This is also a hard question because it is trck to track... but generally the key to success is whatever you use... use ver little I mainly use cableguys plugins because i bought them and I usually have most of my sidechains never going above 70-80% for the average progressive song. My leads are usually sidechained at 60-70%

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 pm

unless it is armada trance style in that case i go full 100% like my bro husman.. you guys will hear it in some of my upcoming releases this year.

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

by JeroenJongsma » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:18 am

Thnx for the help bro, much appreciated!

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks