ASK ME ANYTHING!

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
brianarimura

Re: ASK ME ANYTHING!

by brianarimura » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Very great topic bro. Thanks for the tips you're giving!

no avatar
Szpila

by Szpila » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Do you know the secret of these powerful lead from Alesso/Ingrosso and other Swedish guys?

Because my leads compared to their sounds much weaker.

I use low/high pass eq, on main lead boost higher freq to 4/5 dB, add some sausage fattener, reverb on bus not on individual channel, but I steal can't achieve this huge, strong sound. I'm looking for the answer very long time by reading, watching and experimenting, but it seems to be out of reach.

Maybe the problem lie in combain proper sounds? Or mastering?

Maybe there is a rule to achieve strong, powerful, wide sound, something like: you have to use one detune sound, one supersaw style sound and one typical square plus you have to use it on right octaves?

By the way do you have something like that for you? I mean the rules for building and choosing specific sounds like above or rule for octaves like: one layer on C4, two on C5 and one on C6?

Thank you for you effort and time :)

no avatar
WiLD

by WiLD » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 pm

Dont want to hate on Sausage Fattener but i think it makes sound a bit... umm weird.

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Szpila wrote:Do you know the secret of these powerful lead from Alesso/Ingrosso and other Swedish guys?

Because my leads compared to their sounds much weaker.

I use low/high pass eq, on main lead boost higher freq to 4/5 dB, add some sausage fattener, reverb on bus not on individual channel, but I steal can't achieve this huge, strong sound. I'm looking for the answer very long time by reading, watching and experimenting, but it seems to be out of reach.

Maybe the problem lie in combain proper sounds? Or mastering?

Maybe there is a rule to achieve strong, powerful, wide sound, something like: you have to use one detune sound, one supersaw style sound and one typical square plus you have to use it on right octaves?

By the way do you have something like that for you? I mean the rules for building and choosing specific sounds like above or rule for octaves like: one layer on C4, two on C5 and one on C6?

Thank you for you effort and time :)

The only way to make something seem massive is to have less things around it and put it upfront in the mix. One thing I want you to consider though is that people like ales so make music for the radio not the club....this comes with experience but you can't have both unless your making trap music or future house... In progressive the radio mix down is much different. Anyway I would say try using very little fx on a bus channel and using very few layers and try to make your 1 lead as good as possible before adding supports maybe use the same lead and create a bit of width by duplicating it to a new channel where you create max width and mix that in with the original with some Eq. Also one thing for sure is just knowing what works I have been producing house for 6 years and am still learning every day

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 pm

WiLD wrote:Dont want to hate on Sausage Fattener but i think it makes sound a bit... umm weird.

I personally don't use it I prefer camel products if I need something like that except on kicks sausage fattened with 0 clipping is the key to fat kicks I use it amongst other things at the end of my chain for every kick

no avatar
Szpila

by Szpila » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:47 am

Dekagofficial wrote:
The only way to make something seem massive is to have less things around it and put it upfront in the mix. One thing I want you to consider though is that people like ales so make music for the radio not the club....this comes with experience but you can't have both unless your making trap music or future house... In progressive the radio mix down is much different. Anyway I would say try using very little fx on a bus channel and using very few layers and try to make your 1 lead as good as possible before adding supports maybe use the same lead and create a bit of width by duplicating it to a new channel where you create max width and mix that in with the original with some Eq. Also one thing for sure is just knowing what works I have been producing house for 6 years and am still learning every day

I mean old Alesso style in which I fell in love like Clash or Years ;) not this radio's weak tracks. I can't get power and this particular emotion from my lead, however I made big step forward today, I found a tip to set your mid range of the lead lower to get sth like smile in your EQ and it makes my lead sound more powerful and louder, but it still need sth. I will show you what I got and what I want to achieve (BTW I haven't worked on the chord and top bass yet):

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/9fJhtb9t/file.html - my lead sound, zippy has bad quality player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tONMMqWoMw - Dubvision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2xoz1iF0s - Alesso Clash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYaxYaxD_M - Alesso Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjI2CHup07M - Ingrosso Reload

Cheers!

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:22 pm

Yeah most people mix very mid heavy the smile is super important. And yeah man it will always be about clearing space for the leads and finding proper layers clash is 2 layer lead... And very few drop sounds if you really analyze the song

no avatar
Szpila

by Szpila » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi mate again ;)

can you describe more the process of layering your chords during the breaks and drop?

You said that you usually use piano, supersaws and strings, but is there a specific concept for layering, like string always for only top notes of the chord, piano covers the whole chord and supersaws plays whole chord except the top?

Do you layer for example two different pianos, three synths for this supersaw sound and one string or it depends on the results which you gain or always one piano, one synth and one string?

Do you have favourite plugins/soundbanks for chords and pads?

Cheers! :)

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:29 am

Szpila wrote:
Dekagofficial wrote:

I mean old Alesso style in which I fell in love like Clash or Years ;) not this radio's weak tracks. I can't get power and this particular emotion from my lead, however I made big step forward today, I found a tip to set your mid range of the lead lower to get sth like smile in your EQ and it makes my lead sound more powerful and louder, but it still need sth. I will show you what I got and what I want to achieve (BTW I haven't worked on the chord and top bass yet):

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/9fJhtb9t/file.html - my lead sound, zippy has bad quality player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tONMMqWoMw - Dubvision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2xoz1iF0s - Alesso Clash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYaxYaxD_M - Alesso Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjI2CHup07M - Ingrosso Reload

Cheers!

finally able to listen to it.... it seems to be lacking some mid range and is very crispy also seems like there is a lot of reverb on the sound or some multiband compression.

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:34 am

Szpila wrote:Hi mate again ;)

can you describe more the process of layering your chords during the breaks and drop?

You said that you usually use piano, supersaws and strings, but is there a specific concept for layering, like string always for only top notes of the chord, piano covers the whole chord and supersaws plays whole chord except the top?

Do you layer for example two different pianos, three synths for this supersaw sound and one string or it depends on the results which you gain or always one piano, one synth and one string?

Do you have favourite plugins/soundbanks for chords and pads?

Cheers! :)

yeah my process is to make each part flow, my portions do not always play the same midi. theres not really anyway to explain as this comes with practice. sometimes you can have one instrument play one note of your chord then another play a harmonic note and another play the full chord for example. it is really up to you are the composer to judge what is necessary for the song. I also tend to get a lot more indepth with my break's than most artists as I feel like it is where I can really express myself.

I don't have any favorite synths and I also own and use my Virus TI so that doesn't really help you, but spire makes great pads and you can find some great things in kontakt libraries.... I generally always double triple or quadruple up on my piano's i never just use one, it doesnt work well imho, but theres no real secrets it is all trial and error and what works for your song...

I have some tracks with 1 layer of each because I needed a thin breakdown for vocals I have some that are super lush with up to 10 layers.

with this though my best advice is to stop looking for advice and do what feels right for you and allows you to express yourself, try to remember that if it sounds good it sounds good end of story some of the best songs of all time have very few channels.

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks