ASK ME ANYTHING!

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
JeroenJongsma

Re: ASK ME ANYTHING!

by JeroenJongsma » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:08 pm

What's in your opinion the best/easiest way to tune the kickdrum?
I saw a dyro tutorial about tuning kickdrums, but I find it a bit weird how he defines the key of the kick.
Also, do I always have to tune it upwards? Is the Circle of 5ths of big use for this?
And yeah, I know the plugin Kick by NR but I don't like the clicks in there.

Thanks man :)

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:40 am

JeroenJongsma wrote:What's in your opinion the best/easiest way to tune the kickdrum?
I saw a dyro tutorial about tuning kickdrums, but I find it a bit weird how he defines the key of the kick.
Also, do I always have to tune it upwards? Is the Circle of 5ths of big use for this?
And yeah, I know the plugin Kick by NR but I don't like the clicks in there.

Thanks man :)

Just take a click you like and put it in nick Romero kick then? And I'm not really sure how to answer this as I make my kicks with Nicky Romero kick using the above method or by mixing 2 or 3 kicks into one.

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

by JeroenJongsma » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 am

That a method aswell indeed ;d thnx

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 pm

JeroenJongsma wrote:That a method aswell indeed ;d thnx

for sure bro as producers sometimes we tend to think to hard about things. just keep it simple when it comes to those things and do what works for you. at the end of the day you an make any kick sound good in a track with eq and compression.

no avatar
nosp

by nosp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi man, what's on your master?

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:34 pm

nosp wrote:Hi man, what's on your master?

limiter and compressor usually uad api2500

no avatar
julianveloso

by julianveloso » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 am

Dude most of your tracks are pure fire.

Why don't you do a walkthrough of one of your tracks?

That'd be sick. Get an insight on how signed dudes are doing it.

no avatar
JeroenJongsma

by JeroenJongsma » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 pm

I agree man, some sick stuff!

no avatar
Xmint

by Xmint » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:20 am

Can you explain us your master chain? Can you give us some tips when sending a demo to a label? How loud should be a track before sending it to a label? Thank you very much in advance!

PD: Congrats for your release in armada, that remix is awesome! :)

no avatar
Dekagofficial

Topic author

by Dekagofficial » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:46 am

I will at some point once I have some time guys, I will be a lot more active with live videos on my face book.. I have just gotten a good rig set up for live videos, but until then heres some master chain tips...

the most important thing to remember is that mastering is literally just fixing problems from your mix and making it louder... you should have your mixdown sounding how you want before you even start mastering... i use lots of EQ minimal compression and I use lots of Bus tracks where usually I will have more eq and will then add distortion and or compression to really add the pro feel...

after my bus tracks sound the way I neeed them to sound... I use my monitor console to change my audio to mono which you can do in any daw on your master channel... mono allows you to properly monitor the volumes of your synths and sounds without the ear tricks of width and high frequencies... once you have mixed properly the sounds listening in mono, when you switch the sound back to stereo you will have a perfect product...

During this entire process, I am always mixing into the ssl or cytomic the glue on 2:1 with 2db of gain reduction... i cannot give you attack and release settings because it is track dependent you need to use your ears... from that point i run right into another mastering EQ where I will fix some of the bad radio and club frequencies these are 250-500hz and 3500-5000 hz i also roll off everything above 17k and below 35hz or 40hz depending... then i put on a multi bad or use another eq to make some changes to the mix, and finally you always make sure you run into 2 limiters... you never over drive one thing .. so I have one limiter that is just taking the peaks to even out the audio... usually 1-2db of gain reduction.... into the final limiter that I blast the hell out of, you can plus 4-7db of gain reduction depending on your mix... I usually will not allow my songs over -5db rms in the final master because more than things sounds terrible in the club and on the radio/computer...

sorry if this is a pain to read, i am drunk :D

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks