Loud Breakdown Problems/Weak Drop Impact Solutions.

Share your production secrets.
no avatar
MaxVangeli

Topic author

Loud Breakdown Problems/Weak Drop Impact Solutions.

by MaxVangeli » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:10 am

I notice a lot of you guys in the feedback section are having this issue where the breakdowns are so loud and when the drop comes in there is no power. The reason for this is the limiters and compressors on the master make the peaks massive and since there is no kick drum in the break, it tends to get crazy loud. With more experience you will learn how to balance things properly, but there is an easy trick I still use at times. Once u have your master bounce out chop the break from the very start of it to the very end where the drop comes. once u you do that simply lower the whole thing accordingly. A good start is anywhere form 1-4db depending on how unbalanced it is. And now the shittiest drop in the world will sound more powerful overall. You can achieve the same outcome if u volume automate the master, but this first approach is easier and more precise!

Best of Luck My NoFace Army!!!

no avatar
Fezza

Re: Loud Breakdown Problems/Weak Drop Impact Solutions.

by Fezza » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:55 am

Here is another good tip to make sure your drops sound huge, lots of big names using this one. You simply use a stereo tool and automate the master to become slowly more mono during the build, then quickly back to 100% stereo when the drop hits! Check this video tutorial from Hyperbits: https://vimeo.com/128203698

no avatar
MaxVangeli

Topic author

by MaxVangeli » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:21 am

Fezza wrote:Here is another good tip to make sure your drops sound huge, lots of big names using this one. You simply use a stereo tool and automate the master to become slowly more mono during the build, then quickly back to 100% stereo when the drop hits! Check this video tutorial from Hyperbits: https://vimeo.com/128203698

haha yes! I do that a lot!!!

no avatar
brianarimura

by brianarimura » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Here it is some great tips from John Christian too.

no avatar
JordanFerrer

by JordanFerrer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:57 am

That's true! I usually bring down the volume a little bit with automation (learned that at Luke's forum), had no idea about cutting the break and doing it separated! thanks Max!

no avatar
Dekagofficial

by Dekagofficial » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Yeah
1. Volume automation
2. Stereo/mono automation
3. Low pass filter automation

True story

no avatar
EliGreenMusic

by EliGreenMusic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:55 am

While master volume automation can certainly be a great technique to help add impact to your drop, I'd be cautious to make sure you're not using it to mask poor mixing.

You might wanna take these points into consideration before you jump to turn down the master volume:

-- Compressing the master too hard
-- Poor layering (EQing, layer selection, and/or too many layers in general)
-- A build with far too much sub bass (many producers automate a low-cut up to 150 Hz during the build for extra impact during the drop)
-- Poor sidechain technique

That being said, if it sounds good, it is good. Do whatever works for you to get the sound you require

-E

Return to Tips and Tricks