Headroom

Let's talk.
no avatar
cocoTheJoker

Topic author

Headroom

by cocoTheJoker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:01 am

Hello guys, hope you're doing well :)

I'm kinda having trouble understanding headroom, I've read a lot of articles but still I don't totally understand it and I hope some of you would help/clarify what exactly headroom is and why is it needed.

For ex. when leaving headroom, will it make your song sound more dynamic when you compress/make the final touch or what exactly will it be helpful for ?

Is it possible to mix your song good enough by yourself or should you always leave the final touch to the engineers ?

When and how do I know that I have the perfect mix/mastering in my track?

And at last, why do people consider the mixing/mastering part the hardest part of a track ? I'm currently "new" and I didn't come to that point that I'm about to finish something, so these things get me a bit confused.

EDIT: (cause I forgot haha) Why is it important (if important at all) to listen to your whole mix in mono ? Or did I misunderstand something in here?

Every answer is appreciated :)

no avatar
cocoTheJoker

Topic author

Re: Headroom

by cocoTheJoker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:09 am

Could anyone help me ? At least with some points if not all at the same time, I'd really like some opinions :)

no avatar
chronos

by chronos » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 pm

cocoTheJoker wrote:Hello guys, hope you're doing well :)

I'm kinda having trouble understanding headroom, I've read a lot of articles but still I don't totally understand it and I hope some of you would help/clarify what exactly headroom is and why is it needed.

For ex. when leaving headroom, will it make your song sound more dynamic when you compress/make the final touch or what exactly will it be helpful for ?

Is it possible to mix your song good enough by yourself or should you always leave the final touch to the engineers ?

When and how do I know that I have the perfect mix/mastering in my track?

And at last, why do people consider the mixing/mastering part the hardest part of a track ? I'm currently "new" and I didn't come to that point that I'm about to finish something, so these things get me a bit confused.

EDIT: (cause I forgot haha) Why is it important (if important at all) to listen to your whole mix in mono ? Or did I misunderstand something in here?

Every answer is appreciated :)

I'll try to answer some.
First of all, I've seen some producers mixing with a lot of headroom (10 db or more), but I've also seen some guys that have project that go like 6 or more dB into red (I'm not talking about bedroom producers, but big guys with releases on big labels).
People advice mixing with headroom because going over 0 db (clipping) can cause distortion and audio can loose some quality.

Of course you can mix your song by yourself, some producers do it, others send tracks to audio engineers. On the one hand it is always good that someone with "fresh ears" listens to it, on the other hand focus of their mix/master can be different than what you wanted, not to mention that sending a track to the professional engineers isn't cheap.

I would suggest that you learn how to mix/master a song by yourself. If you'll send a track to the label and they release it, usually they send it to the engineer.

Mixing a song good can be hard and tricky, but the best way to see if your mix is good is a comparison with a professional track you like. Bounce your track, load an analyzer, compare your levels with the pro song.

Mixing and listening to your song in mono is what some people say it's very important, while others don't think it is a big deal. The point is that some clubs apparently have their sound system in mono, and if your music sounds good in mono, it will sound good otherwise also. Elements that are very wide in the mix loose their power in mono, that's why everyone suggest putting kick and bass (main elements of the track) in mono.

Hope it helps and hope it makes sense since english is not my native language :)

no avatar
cocoTheJoker

Topic author

by cocoTheJoker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Thank you a lot, your English is fine, and you helped me a lot on those points. Couldn't get any cleaner, thank you man :)

Return to General Discussion