How To Back Up Your Sample Library and Project Files

Let's talk.
no avatar
NickHayes1

Topic author

How To Back Up Your Sample Library and Project Files

by NickHayes1 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey guys,

Recently had my external HD crash with all my samples/ project files/ etc. on it. I was able to have a friend recover some of the stuff, but I've learned the hard way to always have a backup. I figured this would be a good place for everyone to discuss how they back up their files, or, if someone is like me, they can learn how to backup their HD and files before it is too late.

What do you guys use to back up your music files? I was thinking about getting a G drive 4 TB external to back up my computer and an additional G drive 1 TB external to put my music stuff on. This one would be more mobile. Could I save project files onto this drive and then back up that external to the 4TB drive that my computer backs up to? Please, let me know!

Thanks,

Nick

no avatar
agos

Re: How To Back Up Your Sample Library and Project Files

by agos » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am

For maximum security there is a "rule": 3 copies in 2 different media, 1 offsite.
I have all my data on my laptop and I often work "on the go". I backup daily on a external Hard Drive, but I don't carry it always with me (in case my bag gets stolen or damaged). Then I have a MEGA account (50GB free) where I sync all the projects I'm working at the moment. I'm lazy so I really like it, because as long as I have a connection all my music is safe and there's little chance to lose data when it's in the "cloud". MEGA is encrypted so no worries about privacy.
I'm thinking about another copy at my parents home, it's in another city so in case of a disaster I can always go back to that.

no avatar
NickHayes1

Topic author

by NickHayes1 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

agos wrote:For maximum security there is a "rule": 3 copies in 2 different media, 1 offsite.
I have all my data on my laptop and I often work "on the go". I backup daily on a external Hard Drive, but I don't carry it always with me (in case my bag gets stolen or damaged). Then I have a MEGA account (50GB free) where I sync all the projects I'm working at the moment. I'm lazy so I really like it, because as long as I have a connection all my music is safe and there's little chance to lose data when it's in the "cloud". MEGA is encrypted so no worries about privacy.
I'm thinking about another copy at my parents home, it's in another city so in case of a disaster I can always go back to that.

Thanks for the tip man!

no avatar
TVLAmE

by TVLAmE » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:48 am

Cool tip. Its critical to back up years of work whether its cool or not. You never know when dat shitty preset in that shitty project might come in handy. In addition, to having backup xternal HD randomly placed in different locations in case SHIT HAPPENS. I zip up & burn my finished projects on a DVD/CD drive. A bit old school but better safe than sorry.

Return to General Discussion